Your QuickBooks program stores lots of information regarding your company. It is ideal to create regular backups to safeguard your data. These backup files can help you resume your accounting work without extensive data loss if something goes wrong. You will only have to manually enter the transactions since the last backup. But there are times when your data cannot be recoverable at all, or you may forget to create a backup. So, QuickBooks has created a solution for their users to be able to easily recover data. It is the QuickBooks Data Recovery tool. If you have lost data, then we can help you retrieve data using the Auto Data Recovery Tool.
How does the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool work?
The QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery (ADR) Tool solves the problem of data loss by creating a backup file as well as a file that logs your transactions after the backup is created. When you open your QuickBooks company file, the QuickBooks ADR feature starts running basics diagnostics and analysis to ensure that the file is healthy. Once the file passes all tests and the program sees it as a good file, then a backup copy of the file is created. This backup file is saved in the QuickBooks ADR folder.
The ADR tool creates a new backup copy of the QuickBooks file every 12 hours provided the file is opened in this interval. If not, then the backup is created whenever the next time you open the QuickBooks file. Typically, you will see a backup file that is 12 hours old and another one that is 24 hours old. All older backups are deleted to avoid taking up too much space.
Intuit has added this feature as a precautionary measure so that you do not lose your data. Retrieving data from the file is usually done by QuickBooks support experts to avoid problems. The ADR tool should be used only by those who are advanced Windows users.
Things to remember before using QuickBooks Data Recovery Tool
- The ADR tool is available for QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise editions only. It is not available on accountant editions.
- You can use the ADR tool only if you have a Company file size of less than 1.5GB. Large file sizes are not supported, and hence will not be backed up.
- It is ideal to try and retrieve data from the ADR file only if you are an advanced and confident Windows user.
How to use the QuickBooks Data Recovery Tool?
The QuickBooks ADR tool must be used if your QuickBooks Company file is damaged and cannot be opened after following all troubleshooting steps relevant to the error or problem you are facing. The ADR tool is built into your QuickBooks program and works automatically in the background to create regular backup copies of the company file and the transactions. The company file has the extension .qbw while the transaction file has the extension .tlg.
The first way to try and restore data from the backup file is by using the file of the current transaction in your company folder along with the backup company file in the QuickBooks ADR folder. If this works and you have all the transactions right up till your last transaction, then you can run the ‘Verify Data’ toll from the utility menu in QuickBooks to check the integrity of data that has been restored. If the data is restored properly, then you can replace the backup file with the damaged company file and get back to your regular accounting work.
On the other hand, if this does not work, then you can use the company file and the transactions file from the ADR folder only and then try to restore data. If the data is restored, then you can run the ‘Verify Data’ tool to check for data integrity before replacing the backed up files with the damaged files. You may have to manually enter some transactions which may have been created since the last backup of the transactions file.
Challenges faced by QuickBooks users for QuickBooks Data Recovery
The entire process of restoring data from the ADR files involves technical know-how and a clear understanding of the Windows computer. You must have an understanding of the location of the company file, the ADR files and to create test folders from which you can access the backup files. This can be a big challenge for many users. But other challenges in involved in data recovery are:
- If the file extensions are hidden, then you will not be able to figure out which file is the transaction file, and which one is the company file.
- The data recovery process does not work all the time. Sometimes, even the backup files will fail to open.
- Data recovery is usually the last step after going through all troubleshooting steps to resolve a problem. The challenge faced by many users is that they are not clearly aware of the steps to resolve the problem. Or they may not know how to fix an error at all and may directly attempt data recovery.
- If the data recovery tool does not work, then the ADR file can be used for extracting data, but this can be handled by specialists or data extraction professionals only.
- The ADR tool is not available for all versions of QuickBooks, so if you did not create a manual backup then your data may be lost.
How can we help you with QuickBooks Data Recovery?
QuickBooks’ ADR tool simplifies the data recovery process to a certain extent. But there are still lots of troubleshooting and technical steps involved in restoring or recovering data. Many QuickBooks company files are damaged beyond recovery. This is the reason why it is important to contact us as early as possible to figure out if a file can be recovered or restored or not.
Our team will first try to troubleshoot the problem and try to repair the company file. Only when all troubleshooting steps have been used and the error or problem persists then we will use the ADR tool to try and recover data. In the event that the QuickBooks data recovery tool does not work either, our team of professionals will try to recover data from the damaged QuickBooks file.
This process can be time taking and may involve a few days before we can confirm if any data can be recovered from the company file or not. Reach out to QuickBooks data recovery support on our toll-free number +1800-316-2193 to discuss the QuickBooks data recovery options for your QuickBooks files.